Do you love stories based off of mythology? Amber R. Duell has created her own pantheon inside of her book, Fragile Choas, which focuses on the God of War adn his (unwilling) sacrificial bride. Once Cassia is murdered, Thoe can’t bring himself to kill her (again…for real this time) and the two must learn how to survive even when others are plotting around them. There’s also a cat and the God of Death (whom we all adore)
Amber stopped by today for a blog interview AND a live broadcast interview with two entirely different sets of questions. Ready to jump in and learn more?
- In your book, Cassia is sacrificed to the god of War in an effort to gain his favor. Assuming you neighbors are looking for a sacrifice and you’re on the chopping block, are you one of those people who would outsmart them, outrun them, hide and outlast them, or would you just straight up die?
Oh gosh! After having written Fragile Chaos, if I lived anywhere near zealots like Cassia did, I would probably have a panic room. Scratch that—I would probably live in a panic room. Something straight out of the movie Purge.
- An important character in Fragile Chaos happens to be a cat. If you were a cat, what would you look like?
I’d be a black cat to match my dark heart! haha (K.M. side note: I can confirm the dark heart part…don’t blieve me? Read Amber’s The Last Goodbye, lol)
- A game of dice starts off the very unique journey you take us on in your story. Are you a fan of boardgames, and if so, which one is your favorite?
I love boardgames! I’m not sure I can pick a favorite so I’ll do my top 4: Scattergories, Clue, Scrabble, and Cards Against Humanity.
- There’s a particular scene in Fragile Chaos that involves cleaning out a room. Are you a super organized gal, or are you a creative who understands the clutter?
No clutter!! It makes me anxious. I need everything in its place or I can’t concentrate. When I worked my old desk job, if someone used my tape and the dispenser was an inch out of place, I knew it. Having kids has forced me to tone this down but it’s still there.
- When writing what’s the one thing that knocks you off focus the most?
“Mommy! Mommy! Mommy! Hey, Mommy! Mommmmmy!!!”
- In a world where you could go on a weekend vacation with Theo and Cassia, what would your hotel look like?
Cassia is a no frills kind of girl and would want to stay in a run of the mill hotel. Actually, Theo would too if he was on his own, but future Theo would want to pamper Cassia. I imagine he would book a fancy hotel with a deck overlooking the ocean, a Jacuzzi bathtub, and room service that brought food made by a 5-star chef.
- The colors on your cover range from gold tones to red to browns and bronzes. Which one color represents you the most and why?
I’ll say bronze. It’s not a super bold color, but has a sense of fortitude about it.
- You get to spend the day with one of your characters, quick, is it Cassia or Leander and why?
Leander! Because it’s Leander and who could pass up that chance?
- We all firmly believe that Goran deserves his own spin off….what can we do to bribe you?
I accept Red Bull and fan art. 😉
- As the lady with the inside track on these things, what’s your best advice for people who want to avoid being sacrificed to the gods?
Don’t piss off the zealots and live as far away from a temple as possible!
Fragile Chaos can be found here! Want to learn more about Amber R. Duell?
And be sure to catch her live interview on our replay Facebook Live or above!
Have an author you want to see put through their paces with one of my quirky interviews? Let me know in the comments below AND be sure to tell me which of these answers from Amber was your favorite!